Thursday, January 22, 2009

Airports are not my thing...

Airports are not my thing these days.  Yesterday morning dad, Avery and I got up early to make our 8am flight out of GR.  We were flying to NY to meet Josh's parents for a one night quick visit with all the NY Teitelmans.  We arrived in GR without a hitch.  I checked my two bags and the desk agent tells me that one bag is 3lbs over weight and the other is 5lbs over weight.  If I can't decrease the weight then I will be charged $90 per bag.  I open one bag and start removing things to give to dad to send back home with him, this includes shampoo, toothpaste, desitin, face lotion.  From the other bag I take out several things and cram it into my carry on bag.  We have to have the bags re-weighed several times since even the slightest bit over weight didn't cut if for this man.  Apparently any compassion for flying with an infant didn't matter either.  Finally I have two bags under the weight limit.  We head to the security line, it's long and I'm sure my flight is already boarding at this point.  My carry on is now heavy and big because of the shuffle I had to do with my checked luggage.  Dad handles all my carry on items with me in line until they can't let him go any further.  I manage to get my shoes off, diaper bag down, milk out, baby food out, laptop out, stroller through the scanner, bags through the scanner, I go to walk through the scanner and oh! 'Ma-am you have been selected for additional screening'.  Seriously, are you kidding me?  I get a quick pat down but then they have to go through every piece of luggage that I have.  At this point they are paging me by name to board the flight.  Other travelers are walking past me and telling the TSA that they are just plain mean.  Finally all my bags are checked out, I repack them and one of the TSA agents offers to bring the stroller and rolling bag to the gate for me.  Thank You!  I literally board the plane, the flight attendant tells me to sit in the front row and we are off.  This is not what I needed to add to an already stressful and emotional time.  But we made it.  Hopefully the Newark airport treats me better tonight for our final leg of this journey to London.  Are we there yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh, I have four words for you....flowers, wine, spa day.