Flat Hunting just doesn't have the same ring to is as House Hunting, but anyway, we've been flat hunting for our long term move in January. Our current flat we are staying in for this five weeks is really nice but the area isn't quite right for Avery and I long term. We've been reading about different areas, walking different areas and asking people about different areas. I have never paid more attention to noticing other moms with strollers. Our ideal situation is a kid friendly area near a park or greenspace that is close to Josh's office.
First Outing
We had seen pictures of a 4 floor flat. It is in Archway, an area that we didn't know much about but we decided that the pictures were enough to check the place out. Avery and I were to meet the agent at 4. I figured out the bus route and Avery and I were on our way. We left early so we could check out the area. Avery slept the entire bus ride. When we arrived 30+ minutes later, it was windy and cold! I called the agent to let him know we had arrived. This is when Avery decided she had enough, she let loose, starting crying, and crying. Poor thing wouldn't keep her hands inside the blanket and her hands were so cold. I fed her a bottle, a cold bottle, as if that would help warm her up. She emptied the bottle and was still just as upset as before. It was freezing! The agent was over 10 minutes late, Avery was crying and I was about to cry too! Finally we were on our way to the flat, the agent was practically sprinting (and remember I walk fast), Avery is still crying. The flat was really nice, lots of stairs but all newly redone. The agent does nothing to reassure me that the area is right for us and then leaves me after 5 minutes at the flat because he has another appointment. Avery finally fell asleep and I needed to relax so I decided to walk home, 4 miles later we were home.
2nd Viewing
Josh, Avery and I met an agent in Angel. Of course Avery starts crying just as we get to the office, what a way to start out! We grab a cab because the agents are not insured to have children in the car with them. First flat we visit is a traditional building on the main floor and lower level. 2nd flat we visit in an industrial building and the 3rd is an old water building. We felt rushed the entire time and the agent kind of pushed us to make an offer. Out of the three we liked the industrial building. It had an amazing rooftop terrace, an extra area in the master bedroom and an open living area but there was a big gap in the iron covering the french doors that opened 3 stories above the street and open stairs to the second floor.
3rd Viewing
We headed further out of the city to Hampstead. We had visited the area before and really liked it and knew it was very family friendly. We walked to the first two properties and took a cab to the second two. The agent never rushed us and was helpful with local info. The first property was on the third floor and didn't have a lift but had a rooftop terrace that was amazing. We crossed this one off the list because there is no way I could do the stairs with a stroller. The second property was a traditional English cottage with small private garden. 3rd property was in Belsize Park, just south of Hampstead. 4th property was a lower level flat that had just been refinished. We decided that the area of Hampstead would be best for Avery and I and we narrowed our choices to the cottage and the lower level flat. The cottage had location and the flat had modern finishings and size. After great debate we decided on the cottage with location. We made a low offer Friday evening and Saturday afternoon the owner countered with a slightly higher rent. It still fit our budget so we agreed and now we have a place to live!! So I guess we really are moving to London!
After all that boring stuff, I will post more about the cottage with pictures soon!
3 comments:
Sounds like you have been busy! Glad you found a place and I hope it works out well.
Hampstead sounds perfect for Avery, Mummy and Daddy. I am sure grandmother, granddad, pop pop and bubbe will enjoy their special visits there. Pepper hopefully will get to enjoy those long walks with Avery & Mummy around the Heath. Glad you have finally found the perfect place to call your English Home
Congratulations on the new digs! Look nice!
Post a Comment